Events deliver on so many levels, people enjoy meeting face-to-face, they like and want experiences but as an organiser, how can you ensure that your event is going to deliver for everyone involved?
In our latest blog series, Tips for Successful Events, we look at the stages of an event, from your reasons for hosting to marketing your event, the day itself and evaluating the success.
First up, why are you hosting an event?
Here are 10 pointers to help with setting your aims and objectives…
- It may seem strange to start the process of planning an event by thinking about the post-event phase but by visualising what a successful event looks and feels like to you, you’ll have an idea of what you want to achieve.
- What is the purpose of your event? Do you want to raise brand awareness, promote a new service or product? Maybe you want to reward staff, educate or train, or perhaps you want to foster client relationships and build loyalty…
- Do your research. Has the event taken place before? What worked and what didn’t? Can you get access to feedback?
- Whom do you want to attend your event and what would motivate them to come?
- Think about all of the parts of your event: budget, marketing, audience, sponsorship etc. and set objectives for each aspect. Use the SMART principle…
- Write down your goals, be specific about what you want to achieve.
- How will you measure your goals? You need to be able to track developments, think about how you will record your progress.
- Make sure your plans are achievable, it’s good to be challenged but you need to ensure your goals can be accomplished.
- Are your goals relevant, how do they fit into your overall plan, short and long term?
- Set a time limit for achieving the goals, it’ll keep you on track and it’ll help with time management.
For more Tips for Successful Events, check out other blogs in this series:
10 things to think about when setting a date for your event
10 tips to help you choose a venue for your event
Thinking about the finer details: Capacity, Comfort and Catering
10 things to think about during the event
10 things to consider when evaluating the success of your event
Image: Gardens at Madingley Hall, credit Damien Vickers Photography
Make an Enquiry today
Meet Cambridge can help you find a venue and host the perfect event in Cambridge.
You can make an enquiry by:
- using our online enquiry form
- emailing us
- calling us on +44 (0)1223 768740