Founded in 1954, Murray Edwards College sits on a 12-acre site originally owned by the Darwin family, just 20-minutes’ walk to Cambridge city centre. The grounds are a reflection of the College’s relaxed and open attitude, with 'walk-on-the-grass' gardens and a keen eye on biodiversity. The main College buildings were designed by Chamberlin, Powell and Bonn. The striking Brutalist architecture makes for wide, light-filled corridors centred around a sunken Fountain Court, beautifully illuminated at night-time.
Reasons to choose Murray Edwards College
- 2 self-contained lecture conference centres with lecture theatres to seat up to 140, flexible flat-floored meeting rooms and attractive foyers for catering and registration.
- Flat-floored meeting rooms in the Grade II* listed main buildings complete the portfolio of 18 meeting rooms.
- The spectacular Dome dining hall offers a genuine wow factor and the options of banquet and cabaret-style seating, it's one of the largest of the Cambridge College Halls, with space for dancing and a bar too!
- En suite and shared bathroom accommodation spiral out from the core of the College, overlooking the beautiful central grounds, with additional bedrooms in the conference centres bringing the total to 231.
- Murray Edwards College houses an accredited art collection. The Women’s Art Collection is the largest collection of works by women in Europe and the second-largest in the world! Tours of the collection can be arranged as part of your agenda.
- 12-acre site with stunning and accessible gardens as well as the spectacular Fountain Court.
- Easy access by public transport and on-site car parking.
- AIM and Visit England accredited.
The College is increasing the biodiversity of its grounds to encourage wildlife and wild native plant life. Each year the gardening team produce around 14 square metres of woodchip as part of its closed carbon cycle which includes using food waste and coffee grounds as compost. An edible garden is available for students and staff while the catering operation converts waste oil into biofuel and food waste, not used in the gardens, is sent off for recycling. Takeaway and food packing is biodegradable veg-ware.
We caught up with Freya Vaughan, Events Manager at Murray Edwards College to chat about all things conferences and events and to find out more about her role.
Tell us more about your role...
My role includes providing a high quality and efficient events service for all external conference and events clients and College bookings, from the initial enquiry through to delivery on the day. I lead a dedicated, expert team of professionals all of whom have the skills and experience required to deliver modern events and a first-class experience for customers.
Tell us something we might not know about Murray Edwards College
The College is built in the grounds of The Orchard, a large house part-owned by Norah Barlow, granddaughter of Charles Darwin and a distinguished plants woman. The gardens include a greenhouse originally belonging to the estate.
What are the benefits of hosting an event at Murray Edwards College?
At Murray Edwards College we offer the peace of mind that your event will be facilitated by our team of experienced, expert event managers and delivered by professional, efficient and friendly staff. We are always prepared for changes and we react adeptly to accommodate them as smoothly as possible.
Our knowledgeable on-site AV technician will help you get set up and be on call throughout the day. We also offer audio recording and filming of events and our technician can edit your footage so it is suitable for purpose.
What can delegates expect when attending an event at Murray Edwards College?
Expert, friendly service from all staff, combined with the peaceful ambiance of the location and grounds makes for a comfortable and relaxed all-round experience. Delegates often cite The Women’s Art Collection as a unique, inspirational ‘extra’ they weren’t expecting, as well as the iconic Dome dining hall and fountains. The self-contained conference centres and on site AV expertise make for a focused, professional environment when in meetings and conferences. Bedrooms are comfortable and catering is satisfying and delicious!