Summer and Other Residential Schools
Cambridge is a popular destination for visiting residential schools, our academic venues offer the perfect location and ambience for those wishing to visit Cambridge for the purpose of study. Each year we welcome groups of students from around the world, some groups stay a week, while others stay longer; many summer schools are well established, returning to the city every year. The popularity of Cambridge and our venues means that availability for summer schools is very limited, especially in July. Here are a few points to consider if you’re planning to add Cambridge as a destination to your summer school programme…
- Plan well in advance, established summer schools have ongoing contracts with our venues, booking many years in advance, which makes finding availability tricky for new programmes
- The Colleges aren’t suitable environments for groups of young children, if your programme is open to children younger than 16, it may be difficult to find a venue
- The Colleges will need to know the ratio of staff to students at the time of enquiry
- When you enquire, provide as much information about the programme as possible, a sample timetable will help our venues to offer you the right spaces for your the needs of your programme
- The Colleges aren’t open for summer schools until after June therefore July is very busy. You may find better availability outside of these months
- Our venues may ask for references, having these prepared in advance will speed up the venue-finding process
- We’re very sorry but Meet Cambridge isn’t able to assist with finding speakers, students or teaching staff to work on programmes in Cambridge or arranging undergraduate admissions talks from the University.
Cambridge, the quintessential English destination, is very much on the map for group travel and with great availability in peak holiday periods the Cambridge Colleges offer the perfect solution to finding central, yet affordable accommodation with the added value of staying in an interesting and historic location.
With competitive rates, a range of room styles and most importantly no single room supplements, the Cambridge Colleges are perfect for groups visiting the City. Set in stunning locations they also provide a perfect backdrop for social activities; croquet on the lawns, dancing in the halls, punting along the famous Backs, treading in the steps of famed alumni on a College tour, or sumptuous dining in oak-panelled, historic dining rooms, it may be a cliché but we really have got something for everyone!
Over recent years the Colleges have invested massively in their facilities and bedrooms are often spacious and comfortably furnished, offering everything you would want to find in a hotel, but without the price tag! Our buildings are unique, the atmosphere welcoming and the service attentive, indeed the entire experience is a world away from a stay in a commercial lodging and there really is no better way to see Cambridge than from the inside of one of its magnificent Colleges.
If you’re organising a group visit to Cambridge, please use our service to find venues and accommodation, or speak to us if you have any questions regarding the city. We’ve been placing events in Cambridge since 1998 and each member of the team is a Cambridge expert – if we don’t know the answer, we’ll invariably know someone who does!
What Happens Next?
Your event requirements will be circulated to venues with facilities that match your request, saving you the time of contacting each independently. Venues with availability will send details of their offer direct to you.
The venues in our portfolio include all of the undergraduate Colleges, some of the postgraduate and theological Colleges, University buildings, the Cambridge University Press, Madingley Hall, The Møller Centre, as well as hotels and other unique venues in and around the city.
We’ll get in touch after a few days to see how your plans are progressing, to check that you have received a satisfactory response, or to see if we can help any further.
Choosing a Venue and Making a Booking
Once you’ve chosen a venue, we strongly recommend that you visit it before your event and that you make a provisional booking and we'd be delighted to organise site inspections for you and any other decision makers. Please be aware that each venue has its own terms and conditions and take the time to check these in advance of any booking, as cancellation charges do apply in most instances.
The Conference and Catering Departments in our venues will take care of all your event requirements and we would be pleased to help with any enquiries that you may have regarding travel or other activities during your visit, such as guided tours or punting.